Tuesday, 19 August 2008

Gaming

Imperium is a blog belonging to my middle brother, Chris. Since before I can remember he's loved computer games more than most people I know. As such his blog is predominantly focused on game reviews. I've read four of his posts so far, and it seems like good stuff. My brother and I have a monosyballic relationship, and as such I don't know him very well, but he has a very nice writing style. So for anyone who has had a foray into the world of gamers I recommend his blog. I'll provide a link at the end of this post.

I've just read his review of Gears of War. Now, most of my experience of games, post-year 2000, has been on games consoles. Mainly my friends’ games consoles as well. Gaming has never been important enough for me to fork out more than £100 for a system and more then £40 for a game. My latest console is a PS2 and before that was an N64, which I recently brought down from the loft for a brief spell of Banjo-Kazooie. Yes, I admit it's ostensibly for kids, but in my opinion it still kicks ass.

My favourite kind of game is the third person shooter, GTA being by far the greatest gaming franchise in the history of mankind in my opinion - well, maybe next to Monopoly. I hate playing first person shooters on consoles; the use of crappy little analogue sticks is far too limiting in my opinion, and thus the experience will never be as enjoyable as it can be on a PC. I recently played through Half Life 2 and the subsequent episodes on my brother’s iMac, which I found thoroughly wonderful.

So, onto my final point. I recently played Gears on an Xbox 360, and to be honest I really didn't enjoy it. I expect the gameplay is wonderful (at least on a PC) and I expect that to most people the graphics are awesome. But it seems to me that beyond the crappy control on a console, the thing I hate about this game, and also the thing that stopped me from playing past 10 minutes is that I can't friggin’ see anything. Is it just me, or is everything grey, everything, the monsters, the characters, the scenery, the sky, fucking everything is grey. How am I supposed to tell what the hell is going on? I can't see the enemy or figure out where I am. It reminds me of the Grey void in Raymond E Feist’s books, I have no corporeal body, I am floating in nothingness merely sending forth random thoughts of buttons. So yeah, that’s what I have to say about that (takes deep breath). Here's the link to my brother’s blog. Check it out, it won’t disappoint: Imperium - http://imperium.blogsome.com . And why not also check out my oldest brother's blogs: Lack of Faith - http://lackoffaith.blogsome.com, Tom Scrace - http://tomscrace.blogspot.com, and We the People - http://tomscrace.blogsome.com.

No comments: